1997 evinrude 150 ocean pro wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 evinrude 150 ocean pro wiring?

Hello to all. New guy with a e150exeuc , or vc. I got the motor from the original owner, my close friend. Long story short, motor and boat were used by another close friend. They did not want boat anymore so motor returned to my friend. Somewhere along the way it lost spark he thinks. I have 2 wire looms that have 3 wires. And one that has 3, but only 1 is out and able to hook to something. wires. I know one should be tilt trim. Can anyone explain whats what?

I know there are a few things that would cause no spark. Stator, optical eye, coil packs. I will be trying to troubleshoot after xmas. So no that that's out of the way, does this engine have a neutral safety switch? I do not have the binnacle shifter as of yet but the harness does have its own key switch. There is a yellow wire that's not attached. I want to try to figure it out and the motor is in neutral so I believe I should not need a shifter to crank and test for spark.

Below are the pics of the wires I am asking about. I really will gladly accept any help and or advice.

Thanks
    Dave

The Red, Green and Blue wires go to trim switch. The Purple, Gray and black wires go to Tach. Can't see the wire colors very well on other harness but it looks like trim gauge harness, none of them will affect ignition system.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you for the reply. The yellow wire in the pic at the ignition switch, Is that a kill or neutral safety switch wire?

Comment

Yellow wire goes to neutral safety switch in control box then another yellow wire from neutral switch back to key switch.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
          Yellow wire goes to neutral safety switch in control box then another yellow wire from neutral switch back to key switch.

So for testing for spark, can that yellow wire just stay unconnected ? If not, then can I just run it to the key switch to complete the circuit? I don't have a control box yet. so that's why I am asking.

Comment

The yellow can be connected to start circuit post on key switch so you can crank engine over.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X