Need help with shifting issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with shifting issue.

Hey guys, I read this forum a lot but is my first time posting. I'm hoping someone here could possibly help out.

I've got an Evinrude Ski Twin 33hp from 1968.

Bought and used it all last year with no issues.

Just pulled it out of storage and am getting it ready for spring doing regular maintenance.

Pulled the gearcase drain plug which I quickly found out it was actually the pin that holds the shift rod in place. (Should of read the service manual which I actually own)

The rod moved so I had to disconnect it at the link halfway up the lower unit and wiggle it until I could put the pin back in.

And here is my problem, it no longer shifts out of forward, cant get into neutral or reverse.

The shift rod is moving up and down but nothing happens. The gearcase screws are flathead and are seized.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do? If I have to I can grind the heads off and drill out and tap for new bolts.

But I am hoping I'm just missing something here.

Thanks!

That pin holds the shift yoke in place which probably fell down inside gearcase when pin was removed, without taking lower unit apart it will be all most impossible to get yoke back into correct position without dis***embling gearcase. Might try using a heat gun and apply some heat to housing while trying to remove screws with vise grip pliers, it that doesn't work then grinding heads off of screws may be only option.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X