Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 10hp Sportwin bogging at full throttle

Hey all,

I recently picked up a 1960 10hp Sportwin. I bought it off a friend and fellow mechanic who takes good care of his equipment. It had been sitting for a few years in an attic. We put fresh gas to it and changed the plugs (it had been fogged and they were fouled.) We got it to run and seemingly everything was in order. It did need a new fuel line and bulb as well as a new tank. I bought an Attwood 3 gallon tank and a hose.

I took it out the very next day for its first run. Our lake house is in a cove where you have to motor out just above idle to a sandbar. It takes about 5 minutes to get out. I then opened it up and ran it full throttle for a few minutes. After a few minutes running like this it began to bog and occasionally surge. Eventually, I had to run it on full throttle to keep it making headway speed. I didn't think to press on the bulb or open the cap on the tank a turn ( i had my wife and 3 year old in the boat and was just trying to get back to land in case it decided to quite all together.)

I let the motor sit for about an hour and then headed out onto the lake solo. The motor ran flawlessly at part throttle out to the sandbar. And then again for a few minutes at full throttle (It was absolutely flying, felt very strong). Then again it began to bog and occasionally surge. I messed with the fast running mixture setting to no avail.

When I got back to the dock I did a plug chop. Both plugs were lean if anything. Definitely not fouled or sooty.

Is it possible the tank isn't venting? Or is it more likely a fuel pump or dirty carburetor issue?

I plan on running some sea foam through it before taking the carbs out. And trying opening the cap a turn next time it happens. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks for listening.

Probably need to remove and clean carb, you remove gas cap from tank when motor is surging to see if it is a vent problem, you can pull choke out a little at a time to see if carb is plugged up, try pumping fuel primer bulb to see if runs better.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X