Fuel flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel flow

Have twin 1999 115 hp FICHT engines. Replaced both lift pumps and one hipressure fuel pump. 20 pounds and 25 pounds fuel pressure from electric pumps. Engines run out of fuel have to pump bulbs to keep running. Anyone have any ideas? I am at a loss.

Hi,
    The problem may lie with the boats fuel delivery system. I presume you have a built in fuel tank(s). Can you temporarily plum in known good portable tanks with their connectors. One for each engine, not one portable tank with a T fitting as that may result in restricted fuel flow. This will temporarily eliminate the boats fuel delivery system and it’s (possible) ***ociated problems. Take your boat for a run with the temporary tanks and if it does eliminate the problem then it’s the boats fuel system. Check for any fuel fittings and fuel line restrictions, especially the anti-syphon valve and any onboard fuel filters. You say it affects both engines so is there a common connection (T fitting) where there could be a restriction. Also lots of other reason to think about, how old is the fuel delivery system, do you run ethanol fuel. Ethanol fuel in old non compliant fuel hose will be eating the fuel hose an clogging filters and fitting.
    If the portable tanks don’t solve the problem then it’s fairly certain the problem is with the engines. As the problem affects both engines look for something common in the fuel delivery.
    Hope this helps
    GEB

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I did find a short sentence in the manual that says if you have twins you need to have two lift tubes from the tank. One for each engine. Ran one engine from tank , byp***ed filter (port engine) and bulb stayed firm.

Comment

And after I checked compression on stb engine I have no spark. It was running 10 min before . Checked fuses good. Can’t see anything knocked loose.

Comment

Hi,
          Re no spark. I’m not a tech but I’d be looking for loose, broken, misplaced or dislodged wires. Not sure on your model but if the coils have ground straps / wires check those as well. When checking electrics the ground circuits are often overlooked. Since it was fine before the compression test IMO it’ be something electrical that’s been disturbed. As you have the other engine to refer to, look at it and then compare the “no spark” engine which could reveal the problem.
          Aside.
          My father was a mechanic and often when I “fixed” something on a motor and it then had problems he would say “go back to what you last did to the motor as the problem will most likely be related to what you did.” IMO sound advice.
          Hope you get it sorted

Comment

Hi,
            While this Document is for Evinrude E-TEC it contains useful generic information about fuel delivery installation. Refer Pages 20-24.
            https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...mk4dWY3TmxLUmM

Hope this is helpful

Comment

I pulled plugs they are dry, no fuel. I have fuel flow at hipressure pump. 27 lbs at hipressure pump , key on then leaks down to 17 lbs. put hose on pump fuel shot out a foot or so.

Comment

Found a bad problem. Stator started coming apart and took out magnates on flywheel. Also water p***age was plugged

Comment

If water p***age in EMM is plugged with salt ithe EMM will overheat and cut fuel off to the cylinders. This could be the problem I am experiencing. With the stb engine.

Comment

Hi Lesley,
                    My (limited) experience is with Evinrude E-TEC which have a (water) Pressure Relief Valve located under the flywheel. When they leak, especially in salt water, everything under there will corrode and the magnets come unglued, sometimes getting jammed between the stator and flywheel which results in stator damage. If your FITCH has the same setup it’s possible the PRV leaked and this resulted in the damage. Not the other way round as you describe.
                    If the cooling water tube in the ECU / EMM is clogged the ECU / EMM will overheat and (maybe fatally) damage it’s components. As the ECU / EMM controls the injectors, yes a heat damaged ECU / EMM could cut off the cylinders fuel supply because the injectors wouldn’t be working. On an E-TEC the EMM controls the high pressure fuel pump so if FITCH is the same that could also cut off the fuel supply to the cylinders.
                    Regarding the tube being blocked with salt. This is the result of the tube (if it’s metal) having an electrical charge on it which via electrolysis turns it into a little salt making factory. An electrical leak ( usually a faulty capacitor) from inside the EMM / ECU is the cause. With electrical power supplied to the motor use a multimeter to measure if there’s any voltage from the water tube to earth.
                    If you don’t already have a Service Manual and the Evinrude Diagnostics I suggest you get then to continue diagnosing the root cause of the problem which needs to be found or once faulty parts are replaced it could happen again.
                    In the short term, ONLY after the stator problem (which also could have damaged the ECU) is fixed you could try substituting the good ECU from the other motor and see if it will start /run. BUT if you do that and it does run, ONLY run it at idle as the donor ECU has different programming in it and running the motor “at speed” could damage the motor.
                    Don’t mistake me for any sort of expert, I’m not
                    Cheers

Comment

Thank you for that. I am praying the EMM is ok

Comment

EMM plugged with salt/dirt

Comment

Hi,
                          Let us know the progress and outcome

Comment

Put computer from port engine on stb still no fuel pump.

Comment

Hi
                              At the risk of being labeled a “parts thrower” but seeing as the other motor’s fuel pump is ok you could try swapping out the fuel pump as a way of confirming wether it’s ok or not. Leave the ECU from the port engine on the stbd when you swap fuel pump. If that works put the original ECU back on to confirm wether or not it’s ok.
                              Do you have a Service Repair Manual, hard to go any further without one. Have you repaired / replaced the damaged stator and flywheel ?

Comment

Working...
                              X