Evinrude 40hp modle E40ELCDE over heating and loosing power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evinrude 40hp modle E40ELCDE over heating and loosing power

hello, i'm new to this forum and new to outboard motors. I have a 40hp Evinrude. it seems to run great with 2 adults and 2 children. as soon as I add a third adult it will not plane out and the over temp alarm goes off and stays on until I dump one adult and open up the throttle. at this point it will then plane out and after about 30-45 seconds the alarm goes off. according to the model number it appears to be from around 1986 engine any help or suggestions would be great. I wont be able to get it into the open water until sometime in may as I live in the northern Midwest and everything is currently covered in ice. any help would be appreciated. thank you

Sounds like you are overpropped and need a new water pump. That engine should turn between 4500-5500 rpm's at wide open throttle, check to see what rpm's you are getting. If rpm's are lower than operating range then decrease prop pitch size to increase rpm's and gain more hole shot.
    Water pump should be replaced every 2 years
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you for your response. how tough is it to replace water pump? and what parts are needed? also I do not have any gauges on my dash. how do you instal a tacometer to get the proper rpm readout? the boat that it is installed on is a "Reph" I havn't been able to find much information on that manufacture. late 70's early 80's I believe.

Comment

You have to remove lower unit to replace water pump, you would need a water pump repair kit(number 88 in this link; https://www.boats.net/catalog/evinru...-1986/gearcase) which will include parts needed to replace water pump. You will need a tach for outboards like this https://www.boats.net/product/access...23aec12337a5f3 and a tach harness part number 174372.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

how do you properly size the prop?

Comment

the only markings I see on the prop are
            A

what dose that mean?

Comment

You may have to remove prop and look at back of hub for diameter and pitch numbers stamped into hub.
              To increase rpm's use a lower pitch prop and to increase rpm's use a higher pitch prop until to get rpm's at wide open throttle with a normal load in boat to fall within the 4500-5500 rpm range.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

How do I find the signal wire to hook my new tach to. I’m not sure exactly what Wire goes where. I tried to upload a photo but it won’t let me

Comment

The gauge harness plugs in to the front of the side mount control box or the main wire harness by key switch if you have a binnacle control box. The wire color are:
                  Black= ground( connect GRD post of tach)
                  Purple= Key on power( connect to ign. post of tach)
                  Gray= tach signal, connect to signal post of tach
                  Regards
                  Boats.net
                  Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                  X