1971 6hp Fisherman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 6hp Fisherman

I am having a problem with a 1971 6hp evinrude fisherman. Here is what I've done so far. Pulled off the carb, put in a kit(carb), adjusted the float to 1" to 1-3/8". Replaced the packing washers in the low speed needle, adjusted out the needle out 1.5 turns. Replaced the fuel pump with a brand new OEM one. And when I rebuilt the carb I used carb cleaner and blew it out in all orifices with compressed air. This is what the engine is doing. In neutral the engine will rev up to a good RPM, but as soon as its put into gear it lug's out and barely runs above an idle. It will start up if it dies, but it won't run wide open. I mixed the fuel a little rich, because the motor had been in storage for awhile, 40:1. Here is the weird thing when the engine was running in the water tank I thought that I would mess with the Low speed needle to get it to run better,(High speed-is set with a nut cap) and I was able to unscrew the needle all the way out without affecting the engine from its bad idle. Any Ideas would be helpful as I'm about to breakdown and take it to the dealer. Thanks for your time Pete

What's the compression, do you have good spark, jump a 3/8" gap and is it bright blue? When you overhauled your carb did you remove the core plug on top of the carb and clean the p***ages underneith?

Comment

Service Manual

The service manual is available for download at:
      http://www.pdfsale.com/outboard.moto...anual.4746.htm

Thanks for the great info
      Terry

Comment

Working...
      X