Buy Evinrude Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1958 Evinrude 7.5hp Fleetwin... how do you get..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Evinrude 7.5hp Fleetwin... how do you get..

...the cowl off?

Yeah, I'm new here... but I have looked online, I have a Johnson-Evinrude 1956-70 Repair Manual... and can't find how to do it.

Sure... I've lifted up half of the cowl... that's the easy part. But I can't see at all how to get the other half off.

I am replacing coils, points... all of that ignition stuff... and I need to get the cowl off.

Seems like I need to dis***emble some cable connects and things like that. But I find it hard to believe that Evinrude would have made this part so difficult (at least for me) when ignition parts and tune ups would require frequent attention.

So, I'd sure like some help. Many thanks.

Hal Nash
    Waldport, OR

In thinking back through the years and picturing that hood in my mind... I can't visualize anyone having a problem getting the hood off.

What is the model number of that engine? Can you send a picture of the hood?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Reeves View Post
      In thinking back through the years and picturing that hood in my mind... I can't visualize anyone having a problem getting the hood off.

What is the model number of that engine? Can you send a picture of the hood?
      Thanks for the reply. I don't know where to look for the model number of the engine.

Attached are pics of the motor... if that's any help. I tried to show how the choke and other cables go through the cowl.
      Attached Files

Comment

more pics...

Couple more pics...
        Attached Files

Comment

The model number is usually on the port (left) transom bracket via a small attached plate...OR... on a larger plate between the transom brackets, in front, just above the transom of the boat would be... ALSO... possibly on a small quarter sized core plug (looks like a small freeze out plug) somewhere on the powerhead.

It is necessary to remove the choke, and low & high speed knobs in order to free the other side of that hood.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will take a look and get back with what I find.

And thanks for the info on the choke and speed knobs.

Comment

The model number is usually on the port (left) transom bracket via a small attached plate...OR... on a larger plate between the transom brackets, in front, just above the transom of the boat would be... ALSO... possibly on a small quarter sized core plug (looks like a small freeze out plug) somewhere on the powerhead.

It is necessary to remove the choke, and low & high speed knobs in order to free the other side of that hood.
              After a good search, I found a silver plate and a Serial (not a Model number that you mentioned) number: 7524-11640

With that info, can we ID the engine?

And sorry for my tardiness in replying back.

Comment

Originally posted by hnash53 View Post
                After a good search, I found a silver plate and a Serial (not a Model number that you mentioned) number: 7524-11640. With that info, can we ID the engine? And sorry for my tardiness in replying back.
                Tardiness?? Ha! Underlined beneath my picture in the high school yearbook of 1948 was the quote "Better Late Than Never!"

That number is a two fold identification. The first four numbers (7524) are/is the "Model Number which identifies the engine as a 1958 7.5hp Evinrude... the remaining five numbers is the serial number.

Comment

I'm back. I need to order an ignition kit for this motor along with a recoil starter.

Please recommend a GOOD, reliable parts source for vintage motors like my Evinrude 7.5 hp motor. West coast sources preferred but will order from anywhere in US.

Many thanks.

Hal Nash
                  Waldport OR

Comment

Sorry, I'm afraid you're on your own there other than my recommendation to try here or the other sites I frequent... MarineEngine.com & iBoats.com.

Comment

Thanks, Joe, for the reply. I've found a source.. but now I have another issue.

My 1958 Evinrude 7.5hp motor does not have a fuel pump. It has the vintage pressurized gas tank. But I think the tank has issues,... and I'm considering having someone put on the fuel pump for me so that I can use the "regular" non-pressurized gas tanks of today.

I've looked at online videos about how to modify these motors to take a fuel pump. How much does it cost to do the mods? I could probably do it myself, but when it comes to this mechanical stuff, I am strictly a "paint by numbers" guy... detailed step-by-step instructions with pics/videos.

Any counsel anyone can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks!!

Hal Nash
                      Waldport OR

Comment

I can only suggest that you click on the "contact us" button at the top of this page to see where that take you... and also contact the sites I mentioned on post reply #10 with your question/intentions as other members there may have the answer you need.

Comment

I can only suggest that you click on the "contact us" button at the top of this page to see where that take you... and also contact the sites I mentioned on post reply #10 with your question/intentions as other members there may have the answer you need.
                          Thanks again, Joe. I found a fuel pump and some more videos on doing this mod on these old motors. With those, and with another set of eyes looking over my shoulder, we may be able to do the mod.

Comment

Working...
                          X