Engine cleaner- with the prop off??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cleaner- with the prop off??

I have a 98 Ficht- and yes, while it may ‘suck to be me’ it’s been running (90%) great for 16 years!!
    I’ve always ran the carbon guard in with the gas and nothing but XD-100 oil, fog it every year with old plugs- in the spring she fires up on just a bump of the key- burn off the fogging oil then put in cleaner plugs.
    So far-(knocking on wood)- reliable!
    There was a guy on the OMC forums some time ago, went by the name of Rowdy, that I ***ume had worked on these at OMC because he was a powerhouse on knowledge on them.
    He highly recommended this decarbing method with the OMC Carb cleaner (7 cans of it!!!)
    Paranoid of these things blowing- I followed that procedure but sorry- I skimped on the 7 cans and used only 1. I always did it at a dock- in gear- with the prop on (!) as I believe was recommended to put a full load on it.

Well, it’s been a while since I’ve ran a cleaner through it- and I’ve been telling myself I need to get it done. But where I live now- they’d hang me by my exhaust baffle if I ran it trailered with the prop on at the boat launch.

I see on the can it says to trailer it in the water with the prop removed.
    Is that ok to do? Will that be enough load on the engine when it eats that cleaner and the RPM’s head for the roof?
    Was it a case of ‘loading’ the Ficht, or just keeping enough of a load on it to keep it from hitting the limiter too quick?
Working...
X