1971 40 HP outboard stuck in forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 40 HP outboard stuck in forward

hey guys I'm new here. I'm sad to report my boat sank last year but we got it out of the water. I was quick to remove any water from the motor and I changed the lower end fluid.

Here is my problem. After a year it's amazing but the motor starts and runs good. The problem is when I put in gear to go forward it go stuck there. I couldn't go back in reverse or neutral. I've removed the cables going to the throttle and shift linkages on the motor. The shift linkage moves ok in the forward position and going to the neutral it moves up to a certain point and goes no further. I don't feel it going into neutral and lets even mention reverse.

I'm guessing there is something wrong and i shouldn't force it. When we took the boat out of the water there propeller had mud covering the whole of the propeller. I took as much mud as i could before starting the motor. The exhaust comes out fine. When it sank I was trying to move the boat as water starting coming in from the back from the high waves.

I'm thinking about going into the lower unit but I've never done so before. Does anyone have a good site that gives a how to? Just guessing but going to the lower unit I should replace any orings. Does anyone know where I can get an Oring kit for the lower unit? Engine is probably 50173S 1971 or 50172S 1971

Thanks for your replies.
Working...
X