X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upper engine mount questions -- 1974 Evinrude 25hp

Hey guys,

1974 Evinrude 25hp 25402M

I'd like to know if anyone has had my same problem. I've been working on this old Evinrude for the past year off and on. The initial problem has been that it idles poorly at low speeds. I've replaced most of the electrical system including points, ignition coils, condensers, etc. I verified the timing. I checked and replaced the reed valve that was bent. Of course the carb was cleaned like 5 times. It actually was running pretty well in the barrel, but when I got out to the lake it would cough and sputter if I hit some waves. I think my current (?last) problem might be rotten upper engine mounts. Leeroy's says (Maintaining Johnson 9.9 Powerhead/Gearcase) I should remove the whole powerhead, but his examples are a bit different from mine. I believe that with lots of vibration, it is shaking the crankshaft relative to the armature plate causing the timing to be off a split second. The replacement part seems pretty expensive so I was also wondering if anyone had replaced this with a solid bolt, or with some similar automotive mounting bracket.

See Part #8
    Evinrude Exhaust Housing Parts for 1974 25hp 25402M Outboard Motor

Thanks,
    Keith
    Attached Files
Working...
X