Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success Rate of replacing FICHT piston

Hi Everyone,

Firstly i am new to this site and have enjoyed reading many posts.

I have owned a 1998 Evinrude FITCH V4 for the past 6yrs (purchased in 2010) with full service history from new. No issues until recently and was performing at specification (WOT 68klm's @ 5300revs). Goes like a rocked and serviced every year at either Huett Marine and Middle Harbour Marine. Also use XD 100 oil and flush with salt away. (506hrs)

Recently i had (3times) over heat problem (alarm) putting the motor into SLOW mode. Problem was fixed with new thermostat springs ($9).

I then experienced the motor stalling when putting into gear (motor would ideal normally) however when put into gear and throttle up stall. Replaced throttle sensor $450.

Problem continued and identified compression had dropped in one of the cylinder's from 140psi in Dec 15 to 100psi in June 2016. (small line crack in piston).

Question is should i rebuild the motor for $2600 (I have confidence in the mechanic) or buy new E-Tec 90hp Inline (Approx $13,000 installed ?)

My preference is to rebuild as i just love this motor based on its past performance and reliability, interested in your views on performance of a motor that has been rebuild or had a piston replaced ?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Paul
Working...
X