Help with my Evinrude 6 part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my Evinrude 6 part 1

Hi guy, I just bought my first outboard motor at an auction several day ago, it had number 6 in front so i guess it is a 6 hp? the serial number is something like: 6602E-E052145, it came with an Evinrude gas tank, quick connect fuel line with a very small hand pump, which is very hard to operate, i got 6 gallons of gas mixing with 14 oz of evinrude oil. After connecting the fuel line to the gas tank and the motor and put the bottom end of the motor in a bucket of water, i tried to start it but nothing happen, i pumped the little hand pump like hundred time but it is very hard to tell if the gas got to the motor or not, so i went ahead and took the "out" fuel line from the fuel pump on the motor to the carb and fill the carb with gas from the tank and the motor started and ran for about 30 sec and shut off because she ran out of gas, so here are my questions that i hope to get some answer:
    1) what year is this motor and is it a 6hp?
    2) what is the proper starting procedure for this type of motor? i put the throttle handle in Start position, the side gear lever thingie in the middle, the choke stick all the way in and it start but i'm not sure if this is the proper way to do it.
    3) Base on what i experienced, is this a fuel pump problem? it look pretty new but it might not mean anything.
    4) If it is fuel pump, does it repairable/rebuildable? or do is just have to replace it..
    Thank you for any help that i can get.

Help

Its a 1966 6hp unit.
    Check that hose has pressure when priming bulb.Its easy to check, just pump it up and connect to motor or take it off motor after pumpin it up.... if it has pressure, you should be getting sprayed with a little gas every time you try to put it on or take it off, IF it has been pumped.
    You should be able to feel gas entering the bulb when squeezing, if the rubber bulb is rock hard, toss it in the bin and go get a new set-up at a place like Wal-mart for $20 and continue.....
    But, seein that the choke is stuck, sounds like the carbuerator needs to come off and be cleaned out..
    When I start troubleshooting an unknown motor, I usually start with fuel delivery and fuel quality first. Then spark and compression. After that, you still got to Drain the oil in the lower unit to inspect for water or metal pieces.. If no water, just refill it and your cool there...If water, well better get a manual, cause it needs seals...
    Then after it starts you make sure it isnt getting hot. Water has to shoot out of the exhaust or it will get hot in a few minutes, even if in a bucket of water.. so thats important to not run it long at all...there is a place where water should pee out when running, if not, turn it off and slap a water pump impeller at it....
    Then, does it turn the prop, both ways....
    Go up river or to a small lake and test it out...after tuning in barrel at the house...
    Last edited by Rawdawg; 05-20-2010, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X