Lower Unit problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit problems

I have a 1978 70 hp Engine. I rebuilt it and it runs fine. Yesterday I started the engine up and ran it on a hosepipe engaging forward and reverse. Today I went fisning and could not get reverse to work. It starts up in forward at idle speed. I cannot move the gear selector to reverse. I pulled the lower unit. Now the gear selector will work the the lower unit missing, however the removed lower unit seems to be stuck in gear. Can anyone help me with how to rebuild or have reccomendations. Thanks but I'm not ready to give up on my engine yet so buying a new one is out.

Thanks Gents.

You would need to get yourself a service manual and it will require special tools to rebuild a gearcase.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Lower Unit Issues

Ok, got the manual, removed and took the lower unit apart. None of the gears had nicks or worn teeth. Every bearing was in great shape. I did not find any water in the interior of the unit. The only problem I found was that the shift rod was stuck and only began to move as designed when I was able to remove it from the unit. The hydralic pump screen was a bit dirty but otherwise in good shape. Should I replace the entire ***ist unit (shift rod ***embly). Something has to be defective to cause it to jam. Any help?

Thanks

Newt

Comment

There must be something causing the shifter to bind, just have ti inspect all parts closely to find whats going on.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X