33hp ski-twin help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33hp ski-twin help

Hello, I am new to this forum and even newer to boats. I just bought my first boat and I am frustrated and confused out of my mind so before I go spending cash at a boat mechanic i figured I'd ask a few questions.
    I just bought my first boat last week from a guy that told me everything was good to go just needs a few tweeks in the ignition so I figured what the heck. So after the wiring nightmare in the boat and trailer I have come across two major probelms with the motor.
    1. I have no water pumping out of the exit hole.
    2. I seem to only have a forward gear when I should be having a neutral and reverse.
    I have no clue about this motor other that the registrastion says the boat is a '73 astrogl*** 16'.
    I know I'm being vague so please help me ask the right questions or whatever. I am a do it yourself kinda guy so I feel like an idiot in the boating world. Thanks for reading this rant.

First you will need the model number when ordering parts, this is located on the mounting bracket where it mounts to the transom of the boat. You should change the impeller, you will have to remove the lower unit to do this. I recommend purchasing a service manual. (see following link) With the lower unit removed you can then check the shifting at the gearcase. You problem maybe as simple as a water pump impeller and bad adjustments.

Original outboard product and service manuals for Johnson, Evinrude, Gale, and OMC
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you for the help, now lets see if I can help myself.

Comment

Working...
      X