Remove gearcase on 30 HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove gearcase on 30 HP

I have tried to remove the lower gearcase on my 1989 E30TELCED outboard. I have removed the four bolts and one nut. When I pull down on the gearcase the shift lever goes into reverse and will not let the gearcase be removed. It drops approx. 1" then stops. If I put the shift lever into forward the gearcase closes back up. I have tried to remove it in forward, neutral and reverse with the same action happening. Am I missing something? I need to replace the water pump so removal of the gearcase is required.

Yes you have to disconnect the shift linkage. There should be a keeper when you see when you lower.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Lowering Gearcase 1989 30 HP Evinrude

I have removed the shift lever and I still cannot remove the lower gear case. Am I supposed to disconnect the shift linkage in the power head part of the motor? It doesn't let me lower the unit far enough to see the shaft only the top of the water pump.

Comment

If it's like my 25hp, which I just took apart, you need to remove part #30 on the gear case schematic 1989 E30TELCED Evinrude / Johnson Evinrude GEARCASE Diagram and Parts which allows access to the shift rod connector nuts. Your shift rod is actually two pieces connected with keepers and nuts. Hope this helps.

Regards,
        Michael

Comment

Lowering Gearcase 30 HP Evinrude

Michael, When I arrived home I took your advise. It removed without effort. I want to thanks you for all your help!!!! I hope I can do the same for you one day. Happy Boating this Year! Barry

Comment

Barry, glad I could help. I hope everything works out and you're back out on the water soon. I should be able to get mine back together next week sometime.
            Regards,
            Michael

Comment

Working...
            X