1972 Evinrude cooling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 Evinrude cooling problem

When my father died a couple of years ago he gave his boat to my son. I has a 1972, 40 HP, model # 40152G Evinrude outboard and I can't get the waterpump to pump.

The boat set up for about ten years, then it has been two years since my son received the boat. I ordered a water pump rebuild kit from an Evinrude dealer and installed the kit. But no water circulates through the motor. At least none comes out the port that it used to come out of.

I have checked the best I know how to make sure the water p***ages are not clogged.

Could anyone give me any idea how to get this problem fixed. Any help would be appreciated as this boat is important to my son.

Thanks.

Well, verify that the water tube is sealing. You should also verify all the water p***ages are clear. This can be done with compressed air.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Well, verify that the water tube is sealing. You should also verify all the water p***ages are clear. This can be done with compressed air.
      Sorry for incomplete information, but I have already checked the water p***ages and the tube is sealing as when I replaced the water pump with a water pump repair kit the kit had a new seal. And as I was ***embling the lower end I made sure that the tube was inserted into the seal.

Thanks.

Comment

Well there are no thermostats or poppet valves, so there is either a blocked water p***age, impeller was installed incorrectly or the pick-up tube is clogged. Not much to those older units. It also does not have an indicator, so you would only see water come out the exhaust port as a globber.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
          Well there are no thermostats or poppet valves, so there is either a blocked water p***age, impeller was installed incorrectly or the pick-up tube is clogged. Not much to those older units. It also does not have an indicator, so you would only see water come out the exhaust port as a globber.

Well, I thought that the water came out of a hole just below the motor. If the water comes out the exhaust port, and the water in the barrel was well above the exhaust port, maybe I didn't see the water existing. I will check it again a different way. Thanks.

Comment

Can the muffs with a garden hose be used on the older motors rather than a barrel of water? Does the pickup work that way on say my 1991 E25REIE? It would be much easier doing it that way and the water would continually be cool. The water in the barrel can get pretty warm being recycled through.

Comment

Yes that will be fine.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelK63 View Post
                Can the muffs with a garden hose be used on the older motors rather than a barrel of water? Does the pickup work that way on say my 1991 E25REIE? It would be much easier doing it that way and the water would continually be cool. The water in the barrel can get pretty warm being recycled through.

Tried that, still not water. Thanks.

Guess I'll just have to tear it down again. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                X