'98 Ficht 150- suddenly stopped- cranks-won’t start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '98 Ficht 150- suddenly stopped- cranks-won’t start

I have a 98 Ficht 150 (I’m the orig owner)- I'm aware of the history and issues- but I’ve been relatively lucky for 14 years- but today, here’ what I got.

It has always started right up on the 1st turn of the key- even out of winter storage- never an issue.

Tonight we took it out (sad to say it hasn’t been out for a month)- it started right up on the first bump of the ignition key- throttled out at about 2000RPM, then pushed it up to 5000- all running normal- for about 2 minutes. Then throttled down to about 1500-2000RPM to look over some structure and it just stopped! Almost as if I shut it off- but I didn’t. Pulled the throttle arm back to the start position and all she would do is crank- but not even a hint of firing or trying to start. Almost as if 0 fuel or 0 spark. Good solid cranking- but it won’t start.

At home- I have the Diagnostics software and manual- but little time before dark- but here’s what I did find-

-All fuses, battery cables, connections, hoses, harness plugs/connectors are good.

-Battery connections tight

-As normal- turning the key to ON, the fuel pump runs for about 10 sec.

Diagnostics software-

-No error codes. Ran the Fuel Injector test, oil pump and fuel pump test – all p*** (or at least you could hear them). Voltage readings good. (I don’t have a spark tester). All sensors- no faults.

From the manual: “Engine cranks but won’t start”

-(Again- not a lot of daylight to do everything)- but most of the “actions” said to check fuse- look at Diag…all appeared to look and check out OK- however- while looking into the “Ignition System” part of the flow chart- and stepping through the action steps for the “Cause” titled “Emerg Stop Circuit No switched B+ to ECU or Ignition”…(there’s a lot of steps)

But when I got to checking the voltage at Relay 8, pin 86, I measured about 12vdc, which according to the book- “if approx. battery voltage then replace relay”. I retraced the steps- and came to this same item.

Then I ran out of daylight and the mosquitoes found me

Questions-

-This “Emergency Stop Circuit”, if active- would it causes the motor to crank, but not start?

-What is the “Emergency Stop Circuit” and what are its conditions to be active?

-When I put this relay back in (Key has to be ON during the test)- the fuel pump runs again for 10sec. So obviously this relay deals with the pump- but what else is its output to?

-To verify that that this relay is the culprit- could I temporarily use one of the neighboring trim relays- just to see if the engine will start? (are they the same?)

Any other thoughts or ideas for an eng. to just ‘stop’ and not even try to fire?

I realize the value of sinking $$$ into this engine (there isn’t any). I’ve already determined that if it goes to the shop- it’s coming out a Merc- or something else. But this was sudden and abrupt to the point where I know something must have ‘snapped”

Thanks for the help!

You should check for spark. The emergency stop relay will allow the engine to turn over, but not start. You can swap relays as long as they are the same style. You should also check for fuel pressure.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X