etec 300 hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• etec 300 hp

just returned from my boat to find a large bolt below the outboard.It had come from the top stearing arm pivot( there are two bolts) The bolt had sheared leaving part of the bolt in the thread!Suspect I will have to lift the boat and remove engine to get the bolt extracted and replaced. Not sure why this should happen as engine only done around 200 hours. Is this a common fault and any ideas why it should occur?

That is not completely uncommen. Corrosion is the usual cause.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

300 etec bolts

Thanks for the reply. I am surprised it is down to corrosion as the boat is in a hot/dry climate. However, I can see no other obvious reason for the failure of this bolt. Guess I should also renew the remaining bolt. Is there anything I can do to reduce this happening again?

Comment

You can spray the engine and components with a protective spray. But really not a whole lot of actions that can be taken.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Me too...

Originally posted by davidevans View Post
          just returned from my boat to find a large bolt below the outboard.It had come from the top stearing arm pivot( there are two bolts) The bolt had sheared leaving part of the bolt in the thread!Suspect I will have to lift the boat and remove engine to get the bolt extracted and replaced. Not sure why this should happen as engine only done around 200 hours. Is this a common fault and any ideas why it should occur?
          I've had this happen to me twice now. I'm not buying that it's due to corrosion. How did you make out getting it fixed?

I just found another of mine sheared off and I'm looking for any info that could help.

Comment

Working...
          X