dying problems with 1972 85hp evinrude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dying problems with 1972 85hp evinrude

I've had some ignition problems and replaced my power pack with a toyota coil and ignition. I also replaced my spark plug wires. When I first start it everything seems to run normal. It idles fine and will run great at any speed but after running at higher speeds for 30 minutes or longer then going down to an idle it will die then won't start for about 15 minutes. It then starts right up but sometimes won't go to full throtle surging for a while. If it cools down completly it will run normal again for a while. I thought it was a coil problem so I replaced it with a new one. I don't know if it's another electrical problem or if there could be a fuel problem. I'd appreciate your input.

When the motor won't run, complete a spark test (would not hurt to check compression). This will narrow your search.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

I have run a compression test and have 119-120-123-124 on the cylinders. There's a good spark when it won't start. Does it have a needle and seat in the carburator that could be sticking?
      Last edited by fixit-dad; 08-22-2012, 07:06 PM. Reason: I ran a spark test

Comment

Yes does have a needle and seat, but would not be dying. Trying pumping the primer bulb when it begins to die, if it picks up then you are having a fuel restriction problem. If nothing, try tapping the choke when it begins to die, could need carb repair.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X