Regulator/Rectifier wiring substitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulator/Rectifier wiring substitution

I have a 1987 90HP V4 Evinrude, which has a bad regulator/rectifier part no. 0395391.

I have a replacement part that is from a 1988 Evinrude 90HP V4, with a part no. 0583529, which has all the same wiring EXCEPT that it has all five harness wires in the sleeve that goes to the terminal block, whereas the 0395391 had four wires to the terminal block, and a single, heavier gauge red went to the (+) positive/always hot, terminal of the starter solenoid. Also, it does NOT have the large finned heat sink on the underside.

Can these interchange, and is the positive (+) lead an issue on the replacement?

thanks
    Last edited by powrguy; 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM.

No they are two different style systems.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Different "style" systems?

How are they electrically different? The red lead on my old unit had been connected to the "always hot" positive lead on the solenoid, with the 4 same-color wires going to the terminal block. 2 wires from the stator, one for the tach, and one for the voltage regulator ouput, I think.

I installed the replacement, and ran the red wire to the + terminal on the solenoid, and changed, color-for-color, the remaining 4 leads to the terminal block.

Are you saying it will not work this way?

thanks

Comment

Unfortunately I do not have the detailed differences, however according to the parts list, that part is not compatible with that motor. You maybe able to hook it up in that manner and it may or may not work.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Fyi

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
          Unfortunately I do not have the detailed differences, however according to the parts list, that part is not compatible with that motor. You maybe able to hook it up in that manner and it may or may not work.
          I know it's not listed as a part interchange option, but it has been installed, the regulator is charging the battery, and the tachometer is working perfectly.

thanks

Comment

Working...
          X