evinrude needle valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evinrude needle valve

my 1972 40hp engine runs good except at slow speed, it cuts out and pops and sometimes guits running. It starts right back up if it guits running. It is hard to get the idle needle valve adjusted right, it seems that it is either to rich or to lean and you can not get it just right. Is my problems caused by the needle valve or is there something else that I should be looking at, I have replaced the points, rebuilt the carb, checked the reed valves, new plugs and wires, and ajusted the timming. Compression is 100 plus on each cylinder. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It is not hard to adjust those Idle/air screw. First remove and verify every air fuel p***age is clear from debri, one partially clogged p***age can cause issues. Then inspect or replace all gaskets (should replace). After you have reinstalled carburetor, screw the idle screw all the way in till it seats, do not over tighten, then back out 1.5 turns. Start engine, in a tub of water, not on a water hose. When idling turn screw till motor lien pops (1/4 turn increments) Once it starts popping, turn opposite direction until popping stops, then 1/4 turn in same direction. Be sure you do not have any air leaks.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

If the needle valve is damaged, would it cause my engine to act like this or do you think that it is caused by an incorrect setting of the needle valve. The needle valve looks good but I know from experience that needle valve condition is critical to an engine running properly. At $42.00 I hate to replace it unless it is necessary. Thanks Ron

Comment

If the needle is damaged, it could cause low speed running issues.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X