Fuel Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Trouble

Just purchased a 1991 Evinrude 8HP E8REIA that has trouble starting. It runs fine if you spray a lot of starter fluid in the carb and runs good for minutes until you turn it off. Idles good and revs higher good. I've cleaned the carb, adjusted the low speed needle while its running, checked the float and needle valve, blew out and cleaned all of the openings inside, checked and resolved issues with the fuel line, installed a rebuild kit in the fuel pump and tested it. Also replaced the spark plugs and checked for spark.

The choke is good and goes back to open when released. If you shine a light down the carb after you choke it and crank on it you can see fuel in the tube, so I'm at a loss what it could be. Maybe not enough gas is getting through, but why? The high speed tube is fixed on this engine. Compression on each cylinder is 60 so they are equal. Gas is new with 50:1 two stroke oil.

One thing that looks odd to me is the idle circuit is fed by a rubber tube that goes from a plastic piece at the bottom to a metal tube at the roof of the bowl. The metal tube is close to a curved piece making it difficult to impossible to seat the tube all the way to the roof. I'm not sure if this tube should be forced all the way to the roof or not.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Chris

Update: I can get the motor to start by choking and opening the throttle wide or nearly wide open and cranking a few times. Of course you have to release the choke and cut the throttle way back quickly. So it seems it's the idle circuit isn't letting any gas through. I'll take another look at the uptake hose and top gasket. Perhaps they are cracked or worn out. Or back the low speed needle back more and see how it goes. Ran out of time tonight.

Thanks, Chris

Comment

Did you replace the gaskets when you cleaned the carburetor?
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

No not yet. They looked pretty good. I'm going to try one more thing this weekend if that doesn't work order either the rebuild kit or the parts related to gaskets, tubes, float valve, etc.

Thanks, Chris

Comment

Working...
        X