Need help with 1998 Evinrude 225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with 1998 Evinrude 225

Guys, I have a 1998 23 W/A and 'm having issues with my 1998 Evinrude 225 E225TXECS, looking for some advice. Sorry for the lengthy post, trying to be as detailed as possible:

I have been dealing with an issue with sand somehow in my gas tank, I run fine under 4000rpm, but above that the engine demands more fuel than the filter is allowing, sounds an alarm and drops the rpm. I have to clean the filter out, and carry on. I replaced fuel lines from the pickup back and the tank does not appear to be leaking fuel. There is no water showing up in the separator either. I expect that the sediment has built up, perhaps with the previous owner and the boat sat for a few years, and now I am using it and freeing it up, not sure?

On Sunday I ran a little shallow through some flats and was churning through sand and weeds. The temp alarm sounded, I immediately cut the engine and pulled weeds from the water intake. I removed the exhaust port nozzle and did not see and sand present, when I restarted the engine, the exhaust flow seemed normal and the alarm did not sound again.

After this incident, I was unable to accelerate above 2000rpm, when advancing the throttle the motor vibrates hard and does not accelerate. I was able to limp back to the dock, where I changed out the plugs. I set back out with a rough idle, but was able to get back up to 4000rpm for about 10-15 minutes. At this point the engine died completely and took another 15 minutes to get started and limp back at 2k. While limping back the engine would surge up to 2500 rpm without me advancing the throttle before dropping back down to 2000.

I brought the boat home and let it sit until today. I pulled the plugs, which have about 30 minutes run time and found that #1, 5, 6 are showing signs of glazing, while #2, 3, 4 look like they have never fired. This made me fear head gasket/ring issues, but in my experience when blowing a head gasket, if water were to enter the chambers and sit for a few days the plugs would show signs of rust.

At this point I was thinking perhaps some sand had gotten past the filter and into the carbs, and perhaps clogging the jets and needing a rebuild. Or perhaps a reed issue (the boat has not idled particularly well since I have owned it). Also, maybe a coil / power pack issue?

Before pulling the carbs this morning I went to check the compression and found some strange numbers: #1 - 75psi, #2 - 75psi, #3 - 70psi, #4 - 100psi, #5 - 80psi, #6 - 70psi.

I am stumped at this point, I know I need to get the tank flushed (I'm in St Pete FL, does anyone know someone local to call on this), but it looks like I'm having more issues now, as the compression numbers have surprised me.

I was hoping someone would be able to help me out, any ideas?

Steve

comp numbers are very low. hopefully a carbon build up, as far as sand in tank run the motor on a 6 gal tank and see what you get. motor overheated and went into slow for your limp back home. need to check water pump and clean the cooling system.

Comment

Working...
    X