1991 30 hp evenrude hard to start after warm up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 30 hp evenrude hard to start after warm up

I picked up a 13 foot boston whalert Sport 2 years ago. Initially had a problem with primer solenoid, after replacing solenoid(leaking fuel into carb) engine idled fine. Over winter and spring I restored the hull and changed head gasket water pump, and rebuilt the carburetor.. After restoration had a hard time getting it to idle, after getting engine to idle ok, I put the boat in the water. Engine would bog down after getting up on plane. I decided to take carb apart and clean everything and also rebuilt the fuel pump. After this the engine ran great for most of the summer, (took the boat all over). Then I had the problem of hard starting. Then the bogging problem came back again, rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel pump (and some fuel lines) with a new one. Had problems getting the engine to start and then after starting engine , bogging problem came back. I decided to replace the coils since one was cracked. Today I used the boat. The engine started right up. Took the boat for a ride and had plenty of power with no bogging. I stopped the engine and started it several times and it started each time using the fast idle . Came back , had some dificulty restarting but got it started. Went out again and ran the boat, ran fine started and stopped the engine several times. Came back in and shut engine off. Could not restart. I did all the bacics, compression spark ,spraying fuel into carb does nothing. When I have the hard starting problem the engine sounds like it wants to start. The carb looks like it is getting fuel. Any ideas?

Check for spark on all cylinders when it becomes hard to start.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

I have a cheap (harbor freight spark tester) that is hard to see in the daylight, can i use a timing light?

Comment

Yes timing light will work.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X