Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 200HP Ficht Hard Starting after new EMM

Hi,
    I recently replaced my EMM with a new one from BRP (the newer design). Since replacing the unit, the engine is very hard to start when cold. (Prior to the replacement of the EMM, when the old one worked, it started pretty easily with 2-3 cranks). I've checked the timing and it appears to be correct (all settings were copied from old unit to the new unit by BRP). There's no CE codes stored. The motor runs fine once it starts.
    When starting cold, I need to crank about 8-9 times, sometimes more, before it will fire, then eventually it will start. Once it's warm, it starts on the first crank every time. I can hear the fuel pump and I get the lights on the dash each time I try to start. I've got the same plugs in the motor from when the old EMM was working. I removed them and re-gapped them. I've tried pumping the fuel bulb but it doesn't make any difference. I've got a new cranking battery and all my connections are good. While troubleshooting the old EMM, I cleaned and sealed all of the ground connections, so I'm pretty confident they're all good.
    New plugs are coming later this week, but I doubt they're the cause since the old EMM started fine with them.
    Any ideas on what else it could be?
    Thanks.

Probably need to test 55 volt system and thermosensors.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
      How do I test the 55v system and what and where are the thermosensors? I'm pretty familiar with this motor and have never heard of those.
      As for the 55v system, it worked fine with the old EMM. Is there something different with this new one that would causse a problem?
      Thank you.

Comment

You will need to purchase a service manual, the following link should ***ist you.

If you have your model number I can get you the service manual part number.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Hi,
          I've got a service manual. There's no reference to thermosensors that I can find.

Comment

There are thermosensors all over the motor, in the emm, then heads and pretty sure in the block. Thermosensor is another name for temp sensor.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X