1985 Evinrude 20HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Evinrude 20HP

Not for sure how long this boat sat before I got it. The guy I got it from traded for it and knew nothing about it. Things I have done to it,
    New fuel Tank, New fuel line and Primer bulb, Rebuilt Carb. New Fuel pump. Bothe new coils, New wires and spark plugs.

Kinda hard to startin the water. When at the lake it will take off good and pop ( Not for sure if thru carb or exhaust ) Then after 20 or so feet it will start to slow down. to a little above an idle. You can wait and try it again and will take off and do the same thing. If I leave it on the trailer and back it in the water and leave it in netrual and hold the throttle wide open it will do the same thing. Run for a few then slowly die down. I'm at a loss. The motor looks good and clean, I am sure it's probably something simple. Any suggestions would be great.

Or else I may fill it with dirt and cedar trees and pull the plug and use it for a crappie bed next season..

I also forgot to mention that if running at WOT and it starts to bog down I can pull the manual primer once and it picks back up

The pump checks out good. 120PSI on both. the motor never dies all the way. I can hold it at above an idle all day.Runs great for about 40-70 feet. Acts the same way in the water in netrual.
    Great spark.

New fuel,Tank, Bulb, Coils, Plugs, Wires, Fuel Pump

Joey

First when the motor boggs down check for spark, if you have good spark then spray some silicone spray through the carburetor. If the motor picks up then you have a fuel issue. Try removing the carburetor and thoroughly cleaning.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X