• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 88 SPL no start

No start, no spark.
    did the tests like in the book.
    120 volts from Charge coil, low but OK?
    testing the charge sensor, its not shorted to power or ground, but there is also not the resistance the book calls for from the 4 wires to the center wire whn cranking. Guessing its the sensor? This motor really doesnt have a lot of hours, i bought it new and it has sat alot.

Letting the motor sit is the worst thing you can do. If the wires fail the resistance test, start there.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

no start 88 spl

Unfortunatly i did and now i have to get it started so i can enjoy florida winter. is there a common problem? seems that when it did this before, pulling offf the plug wire and cranking it made it start. If it was a car id think pick up, but this is a wierd ignition system to me. I was achrysler tech for 20 years

Comment

When testing voltage output need to use a peak reading voltmeter and check output of charge coil, trigger coils and CDI output, if not getting any spark on any cylinder probably charge coil or CDI.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

88 Spl No Start

I used a Fluke 88 with Min Max, will that not work?
          i also used a standard analog meter just to see what happened and they were about the same.

Charge coil is part of the stator correct?
          and the CDI? is the the power box or the sensor plate?

Comment

Yes the Fluke should work, you may need a DVi adaptor. The charge coil is part of the stator and the CDI is like the computer or powerpack.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

88 spl no start

i am notgetting the voltage from the trigger like th book says, that semms to me to mean that its the sensor?

Comment

That would definately keep you from getting spark.
                Last edited by boats.net; 11-19-2012, 08:25 AM.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                X