looses power after 5mins wot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looses power after 5mins wot

I have a 1998 50hp erude.1 owner.It runs great 99% of the time.3times in the last 2 years,I was at wot for 5mins or more when i lost power.the first 2 times i limped back to the launch and changed the plugs.this fixed the problemas they were both wet.the last time,4dasys ago.i immediately shut the motor off pulled the plugs they were dry,reinstalled them and tried it again.it ran at wot for 5 more mins w/no problems.when i loose power,there is a crtain speed or rpm that if you stay underneath it run fine but if you move the throttle 1 more fraction it runs badly.could this be that s.l.o.w. thing and if so could someone please explain.

Could be loosing fire on one or more cylinders or starving for fuel, check all fuel hoses and filters. Check ground wire connections and wire connections at coil, power pack are not corroded or have bad connections.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

what does the powerpak look like

I have an evinrude manual and still dont see it.

Comment

powerpak

I found powerpak.connections all look good.when this problem occours,it seems to affect both cyls equally.im think im looking for something thats killing spark or limitting the rpm above a certain throttle position or rpm.and whatever it is reversed itself in 5 mins last time.

Comment

test powerpak

how can i test the power pak to see if its ok?

Comment

You have to have a peak reading voltmeter and test input and output voltage of powerpack to see if it's ok.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X