A Warning about oil level switches.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Warning about oil level switches.

Dear All - just a little warning regarding the low oil level switch in the VRO tank. I am about to re-instate the VRO in my 225HP engine and tested the switch in the bottom of a tank I just bought to find it non-functional. To cut a long story short it was never ***embled properly and had a plastic washer between the two lugs which join the switch wire to the switch. This plastic washer was incorrectly installed at the time of manufacture - I know because it was still cast inside the resin. I guess it p***ed QA in the factory because it was possible for the edge of the lug to touch the bolt in the centre of the lug - but any slight movement and suddenly you have a switch that will never warn you you are out of oil. The reality is that since these switches are not fail-safe (i.e. if the wire falls off you do NOT get an alarm) there are probably a whole lot more out there that have this stupid plastic washer installed that no-one knows about. So - what to do? Test you switch regularly. It is not easy to check if yours also is accidentally fitted with a plastic washer as it is inside the 'potted' resin. This is a good example of why alarms should be fail-safe. Mind you - almost all auto and marine industry alarms work this way so it is hard to be critical of OMC.
Working...
X