48sp loses power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48sp loses power

I have a 48 special, approximately 1989. It runs great! UNTIL when running on full throttle - and never on que - it just drops down to a very slow speed and does not recover - at least that day. Had it to the mechanic three times and he says it does not do it and cant stay out long enough to duplicate it. replaced power pack, stator wires, and the coil tests ok.

Have you tried bumping choke or pumping primer bulb when drops rpm's?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

im having the same problem.I think in my case the power pak or something else thinks the motor is overheating and causing the safety system to kick in and limit the rpms.I am positive my motor is not getting hot.it only happens at wot.if i ever solve my problem i will tyell you about it.good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
        Will try the choke. Primer bulb is hard. Thanks Also - there is no water in the tank.

Comment

It's been a year. What worked?

I am having similar problems with my 48 special, but I can't even get to full throttle. Anything more than just below planing speed only yields a brief surge then it goes to idle. I figured that I ought to rebuild the carbs since the previous owner left fuel in the engine.

Comment

I just joined the site, having same problem with 2000 70hp evinrude, ran great for the last couple months and then the other day it ran about 6 minutes and went to slow speed. I know it is not fuel as i have checked that, i have unhooked the tan wire from pp and ran again,same problem, unhooked regulator same problem!! joined this site for some help!! i have a new pp coming today and hope it fixes the problem, if you have ANY suggestions please help. the stator br/br/y wires tested around 800-850 ohms but the local dealer said it is more than likely the pp. i will reply tonight and let you know if it fixes it. thanks to all the contributers!!

Comment

Just recieved my pp and installed it, now it does not run at all// NO SPARK!!! how the heck can they send you(medart marine-sierra a bad pp right out of the box???? it will run all day on the old one just won't rev up, now i have to wait for another pack so i can find out IF that is my problem. Does anyone ever chime in on these boards? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
                Tried that immediatly when it first shut down on the river,all it did was lower the rpm's more like you were flooding it. tracing wiring harness tonight looking for any bad or maybe loose connections. without a known good pp i really can't do much more and it will be next week till i get a replacement pack for the bad one i recieved. Not blaming anyone for the bad pack i got but this summer will be over before this dang thing gets fixed.....

Comment

Still waiting on my pp , does anyone know how to disconnect the SLOW or is it in the powerpack? thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X