Can somone help me ID this Sportwin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somone help me ID this Sportwin?

Hi guys. My names Tim and i just signed up. I like working on small engines and i just acquired an Evinrude Sportwin 2 cylinder 2 stroke engine. It was a gift for my 18th birthday. i asked for it when i saw it at a local flea market in one of the booths for 80 bucks. Had really good compression Checked for spark and it didnt have nothing. Never worked on a boat motor before or anything else by Evinrude. I figured the points ***y. was under the flywheel so i pull it off and sanded the points. We have spark now. The Carburetor was pretty filthy inside and so was the gas tank (all sorts of crud packed up around the bung for the fuel valve). All that is clean now but ill have to hold off on starting because of this round cork inside the carb. Its all dried out.. im guessing its an accelerator pump of some sort? not quite sure. The pictures and info i found looking around on the internet tell me this engine is a 3.3hp twin. Not for positive though (by that i mean no friggin clue ) not sure on the year either. Heres some pictures of the motor. i guess what i would like to know is what the year and size is of the motor and what the cork part is and if i can get another one. Me and my dad cast aluminum so maybe i could cast a little cylinder, turn it down on the lathe and cut grooves in it for O-rings so it seals the chamber in the carb like the cork would. then just put that in there instead of the cork. ill have to run downstairs real quick and get the numbers off the tag on the engine. ill post those in a second.

Thanks guys,
    KT
    Attached Files

and here is the cork piece i was talking about. its basically a piece of wood now. all shriveled up and dry. im trying to bring life back to it by soaking it in gasoline but it aint working.
    Attached Files

Comment

The number on the tag is 4305-02747. the pat. date is 1935.. OMG.. THIS THING LOOKS GOOOOD!!

Comment

Unfortunately the oldest my information goes is 1955. Try scouring the internet for vintage sportwin.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Well i suppose i have another question. What mixture of oil should i add with the gas? I was going to make sure it had plenty of oil (even more then the instructions on the bottle) for it first start up. Its sat for a LONG time. Maybe 20 years or so. I already made the new accelerator pump/float valve thing. used a whole saw to cut a cylinder out of some 3/4 -1in thick board. I know what the cork piece used to do now. It was the float for the needle and seat on this. the needle is just a br*** pin that seats in the carb body to shut off fuel.. and the lever on the front for "Prime" pushes that cork plunger down to shoot some gas into the venturi of the carb. Also have another question, how tight should the flywheel nut be that holds the flywheel onto the top of the motor? I just held the flywheel as tight as i could with my hands and cranked it down with a socket wrench. Should i give it a tiny bump with the impact?

Comment

On that old of a model I am uncertain, some really old OMC's (Johnson/Evinrude) have abnormal mixing ratios.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten Tooth View Post
              Well i suppose i have another question. What mixture of oil should i add with the gas? I was going to make sure it had plenty of oil (even more then the instructions on the bottle) for it first start up. Its sat for a LONG time. Maybe 20 years or so. I already made the new accelerator pump/float valve thing. used a whole saw to cut a cylinder out of some 3/4 -1in thick board. I know what the cork piece used to do now. It was the float for the needle and seat on this. the needle is just a br*** pin that seats in the carb body to shut off fuel.. and the lever on the front for "Prime" pushes that cork plunger down to shoot some gas into the venturi of the carb. Also have another question, how tight should the flywheel nut be that holds the flywheel onto the top of the motor? I just held the flywheel as tight as i could with my hands and cranked it down with a socket wrench. Should i give it a tiny bump with the impact?
              i would go 16-1 on that. check out aomci for some info.,

Comment

Working...
              X