start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• start problem

My 2008 E-tec 115 hp engine has recently given me start problems(only on first start of the day) when engine lower unit is in the water. If I start engine on trailer prior to launch and let it run for 15 seconds, it will then crank nicely after launch and lower unit in water--just like advertised. Keep in mind, this start problem only happens on first start of day. Once started, it fires up nicely the rest of the day. Didn't have this problem the first 3 yrs of ownership. Engine has about 275 hrs on it and I did take it to local Evinrude dealer for 3 yr check up. New plugs were put in at that time. I am retired and use the boat several times a week. So it is used quite regularly. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

What is the problem, does it not start, take a while to start?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

start problem

Will not start when lower unit in water. Engine starts just fine if out of water. After first start of day, it will crank all day long as advertised. I do pump up the gas bulb prior to starting. Any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.

Comment

If started having problem after the 300 hr service then may need to take back to them and have check to see if spark plugs are indexed properly.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

start problem

Thanks so much for your tip--will do!!

Comment

start problem

As suggested, took engine back to dealer who did the 3 yr check up. Old plugs, that were only 1 yr old, were replaced--and yes, I discussed indexing plugs with them. 2 thermo stats were replaced as they said engine was running hot. They said the engine was water tested after service and all worked fine. The first time I used the engine after it was serviced, all worked as advertised. Thought the problem was fixed, but the next 3 times I used it, it would not start the first start of the day when lower unit was in water. As before, it started fine on trailer and started each time thereafter while on the water. Any further suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have talked to a half dozen other Evinrude engine owners with similar engines and they have not experienced this problem.

Comment

Sounds like a sensor out of range, needs to have computer diagnostic run on it to make sure has all current updates on it and check all sensors are within range. check that throttle is returning to idle on engine.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

start problem

Once again, thanks for the advice. No mention of sensors by dealership. They did tell me they did make sure all the latest updates were in computer. And, two new thermostates were put in as they said the engine was running hot. I do make sure the throttle is in neutral prior to starting.

Am wondering if I will do any damage to engine running it 10-15 sec on trailer before putting it in water since that seems to be the only way I can get it started the first time each outing?? Any input in this area would be greatly apprecited.

Comment

The water pump needs to have water to it when running or can damage pump.
                  Regards
                  Boats.net
                  Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                  X