1987 V4 140 Idle rev fluctuations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 V4 140 Idle rev fluctuations

My 1987 V4 140 has an idle fluctuation that ranges from 900 to 1100.
    Would any one have any suggestions on what could cause this to happen?
    Even when I increase the throttle to say 2000 RPM the fluctuations still exist.
    Has any Looper experts out there that may have a educated guess as to why this can happen?

Thanks and regards
    Roycehg.

This type problem is normally caused by a improper setting of the linkages between the carburetors.... causing at least one carburetor to have its throttle butterfly at a slightly different setting than the others....... At idle, for example, 3 butterflies completely closed... and one open to .010" (doesn't take much!).

Comment

Hi Joe,
      Thankyou for your response. By eye the butterfly valves looked good but as you say if it only takes .010" then something is not quite right. I will investigate further.
      Thanks and regards

Comment

I might add...... Having second thoughts.... You don't say if it is a gradual fluctuation (fuel) or a instantaneous type change in rpms (ignition) which could be due to a intermittent shorting spark plug, a chafing wire rubbing a bare spot on the crankcase, etc. However my experience with the wandering rpms has always led to tension on one of the throttle linkages.

Comment

If the engine is idling it will range from say 900 and move to 1000 then to 1100 then move back to 900 over a period of 5 - 8 seconds and it seems not to be consistent time wise through the range.
          Will investigate..

Comment

Working...
          X