TO MUCH FUEL GOING TO CARB RPMs out of control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TO MUCH FUEL GOING TO CARB RPMs out of control

hi i am new to this forum. i just got a 16 foot b*** tracker with a 1989 90 hp evinrude outboard engine on it for free. i have never worked on boat engines before but i do know a good amount about motors. i checked the compression and everything seems good (all 4 cylinders are at 125) it has a brand new vro pump but i put mixed gas in it anyway because the oil alarm isn't working. the engine starts and runs but it idles at like 5000 rpm when i took the cover for the air intake off i can see that way to much fuel is dumping into the carburators and flooding the engine. fuel is spilling out of the intake and the carbs. my initial thought was to rebuild the carbs but i don't want to waste my time if that is not the problem. does anyone have any experience with this problem any information on this problem will be appreciated. i have checked the internet and have not found any useful info

The throttle plates would have to be open to get that many rpm's or a severe air leak on intake, check linkage is set and working properly, may need to remove and clean carbs as well.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      The throttle plates would have to be open to get that many rpm's or a severe air leak on intake, check linkage is set and working properly, may need to remove and clean carbs as well.
      the throttle plates are closed but when i open them it revs up even higher. i checked for leaks removed the carbs cleaned them (didn't rebuild them yet but everything looked ok) and re in stalled them properly i have been trying all different things with the linkage and no matter what i do there is a TON of FUEL DUMPING OUT OF THE CARBS i think the reason the RPMs are so high is because its getting to much fuel. the boat is not in water so i don't run it for a long time but if i did id image it would flood out and stall due to a EXCESS amount of Fuel going into the carbs. do you know why there is so much fuel going to the carbs? is there something inside of the carb that is suppose to stop or slow down the flow of fuel once the carb is full of fuel?

Comment

Just excess fuel will flood it out, it has to be getting air to mix with with fuel to run a high rpm's. It probably has bad seals, bad intake gaskets or crankcase halves leaking.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

[QUOTE=boats.net;5029]Just excess fuel will flood it out, it has to be getting air to mix with with fuel to run a high rpm's. It probably has bad seals, bad intake gaskets or crankcase halves leaking.[/QUOTE

ok i will replace the seals, but that did not answer my question. i will better explain the problem. There is a insane amount of fuel dumping i to the carb once the fuel is in the carb, some fuel is used to run the engine and most is pouring out of the carbs. it is not normal for any engine to use this much fuel or to have this much fuel spilling out of the carbs. i pulled the fuel line that went into the gas tank and put it in a seperate 3 and a half gallon gas tank when i did this it used about a gallon of gas in about 2 minutes idling at about 4000 rpms. what is causing it to use so much gas?

Comment

Carbs would have to be flooding or has broken reed valve.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X