fuse keeps blowing on 95 70 hp evingrude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuse keeps blowing on 95 70 hp evingrude

i have a 1995 70hp evinrude mod num is e70tledr that keeps blowing a 9 amp fuse that runs the gauges and tilt/trim on boat. was wondering what i need to do to fix it. the fuse is located on the lefthand side of motor and it is in a red rubber fuse holder
    Thanks Eric

Recheck model number, some models have a 20 amp fuse in it like number 39 in this diagram Inline Fuse
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

it may be mod num e70tleor the letter looks like a d or an o the ser num is
      g 03790949. would it hurt anything to run the motor with a set of muffs for water on itin gear an dwith the throttle open just to see if i can re create what is happening out on the water.

also it starts fine but when the fuse blows it shuts down the gauges on the boat and trim stops working and cant restart it with the key untili change the fuse
      Last edited by whiotewolf138; 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM. Reason: need to add more detail

Comment

That model calls for a 20 amp fuse. That is the main fuse and nothing will work if blown.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks much for ur help

Comment

I have a similar situation with a 70HP Mercury where the fuse has blown this past weekend. I replaced the 9 AMP fuse that I found but it keeps blowing when I turn on the ignition (but don't attempt to start the engine).

This fuse is a 7/8" gl*** fuse and I'm not sure you can even buy a 20 AMP fuse that size.

It's possible I have a short under the console but a visual inspection of the area is a rat's nest. The radio, lights and horn seem to work fine and so are probably not part of the ignition circuit. That leaves the instrument panel (voltage meter) and the engine itself.

Would love some insights on why this fuse is blowing.

Comment

As an update, I byp***ed the fuse.

I noticed that when the switch is turned on, it gets VERY hot - I just replaced the switch to no avail. Climbing under the console, I notice that the yellow/red wire gets VERY hot when the switch is turned on. Also the engine won't start (the short may be drawing current away from the starter).

Help!

Comment

Working...
              X