EL150 Dies, Immediately Restarts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL150 Dies, Immediately Restarts

Looking for diagnostic help. 1995 E150ELEOM V6 w/ OIS Ignition System.

Not a high hour engine. Starts easily, runs great. On a Fish and Ski boat. Can sometimes go out and run for 2-3 hours pulling the tube/skiing without issue. Most times out, however, I will have at least one instance of the engine shutting down. This happens while running and/or while decelerating. The engine cuts off instantly without stumbling or any rough running. When it happens I can put in neutral and immediately restart without issue. Once in a while it will stop and 'recatch' before the prop stops windmilling.

I have had it in for service and they 'could not duplicate'. They did some basic tune-up items, including rebuilding two carbs. No real changes I could notice.
    I am looking for some troubleshooting tips as I hate to take back in and leave for service here at the beginning of fishing season just to have another CND.

I think I will clean the tank and replace fuel pickup/lines, but I am sort of leaning toward electrical since it cuts out/dies instantly, without stumbling or coughing, and then immediately restarts without issue.

All help appreciated.
    Last edited by S.Wxman; 03-24-2013, 10:02 PM.

Would be very hard to find if starts right back up. Just clean fuel system and check all grounds and wire connections on engine to see if helps.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Good call on the grounds. I am also looking at the ignition switch. It is a 1995 OMC boat and has the separate ignition and kill switches. I find it harder to imagine a bad kill switch since open is run, but I can imagine the kill wire getting some spurious voltage spikes through the ignition switch. At least it is an easy and inexpensive place to start.

Thank you

Comment

I have a 1997 e35qle that does the exact same thing. been told it was power pack ,but I have a hard time believeing that. hopeing I can find a fix before wasting or spending 600 for that scenario.

Comment

Well I spent a lot more than that taking it to two different Evinrude certified shops. I end up with 8 carb rebuilds, new fuel filter, new spark plugs (twice), new primer bulb....., the list goes on.
          Neither time I took boat out after being worked on did I make it across lake once before the same thing happened.
          I eventually got two manuals and troubleshot everything I could electrical. I never found anything wrong, so I replaced the PowerPack. Problem solved.
          Good luck. I know it is a frustrating issue.

Comment

thx..guess may as well spend there first then...hopefully solve the first time...lol

Comment

Working...
            X