1985 15hp won’t start!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 15hp won’t start!!

Hello, sorry for the long post in advance! New to me 15hp will not fire at all!! I’ve worked on and repaired many outboards, motorcycles, snowmobiles etc. but I’m at a loss here. Things I’ve done so far: fresh gas, new plugs, carb cleaned and kit installed. 90 psi on both cylinders dry, pulled flywheel checked key for wear, no bare wires visible anywhere, spark is there on both plugs and blue but hard to say if it’s enough. I have a tester and it jumps across 1/2” gap but not real strong. Doesn’t seem to be flooding, if anything, plugs aren’t very wet at all. Tried pouring fuel directly into cylinders, nothing. Starting fluid, nothing. I’m leaning toward weak CD2 power pack or possible timing off but I don’t know if that’s possible when the flywheel did not move and everything looks good under it. Previous owner is a friend and said it ran good when he put it away but has been sitting for 3 yrs. maybe stuck reeds? But shouldn’t it still fire with fuel directly into the cylinders? Again, sorry but I’m at wits end with this thing! Thanks for any ideas.

The spark only needs to jump a 1/4 inch gap so you should have enough spark. With spark, fuel and compression it should at least try to run. Might spray some fogging oil in cylinders and spin engine over with plugs out to work oil down on rings(been sitting that long may have stuck rings).
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I did spray down the cylinders just for that reason. I checked the spark at night and it’s not looking as good as I thought, more of a blue haze on the points of the tester. I’m waiting on a power pack, gonna give that a try since both plugs appear to be the same I don’t think it’s a coil issue. I’ll post up my results when I finally get it going!

Comment

Working...
      X