X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water leak after service

Hi All,

New to the forum and after some advice.

I've just done a service (my first time, only owned the boat since Feb) on my 2007 ETEC 90HP and after putting it back together, i put the ear muffs on and ran it. I had pretty normal water flow from the tell tale and also from the discharge through the prop, but i also had a fair bit of water coming from the side exhaust vents. I'm pretty sure that the it wasn't the actual vents where the water was coming out but somewhere just in front of there. Tried to attach a picture but not allowed.

i've read through some of the older posts and see some comments that this is ok, however i'm reasonably sure it wasnt leaking from here prior to the service and once the water is turned off, i can hear it draining down from inside the leg. during the service i changed out the water pump impeller and housing o-rings, everything looked ok for a 10y.o motor (in my opinion) so now i'm concerned that that either:

1/ the water tube has not reseated into the pump outlet - i'm getting water to the tell tale so it's obviously connected partially at least. is it possible that its leaking from around the tapered grommet?
    2/ the pump is leaking back up through the drive shaft - there were no additional o-rings other than the one between the housing and liner, and the big one around the bottom of the housing. i put a new gasket under the wear plate and the plate itself looked fine.

are there any tricks to making sure the water tube reconnects properly when you re-install the gearcase? seems an, er, inconvenient design where you cannot see it to confirm...

Before i ran the motor, i changed the gearcase oil, now that i've likely filled the leg with water, is there any risk to the quality of that oil? i'd like to think the oil galleries are sealed from the leg...

any advice greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers

Jackson

That is normal, after the water is circulated through engine block it exits through the exhaust housing and you see water coming at any number of places on mid housing and lower unit. If water tube was not sealing properly then engine would not get enough water, you would notice poor water flow at tell-tale and engine would overheat.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X