Power Issue 1989 48 SPL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Issue 1989 48 SPL

Ref my 1989 Evinrude 48 SPL on a 15' Sunbird bowrider. Major power issue.

The boat has not been in the water for 3 yrs. When I pulled it last it was running fine. Have installed a new prop and gas is fresh. No old gas was allowed to sit in the engine or tank while out of use. There is a fuel water separator installed and the filter is brand new. The engine starts and idles fine. The motor is in great mechanical shape and has never been abused.

Problem: When I push throttle to forward, maximum power I can only get 2,000 rpms out of the engine and the boat will not gain speed at all. Goes almost at a "no wake" speed.

When I shift to reverse I get full power and there are no speed restrictions.

When I pull the boat and hook up a garden hose to the engine and shift into gear I can get 5,500-6,000 rpms with no problem.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!! Totally perplexed

Thanks!
    COOS

A$$uming that the engine has compression and strong spark on all cylinders that will jump a 7/16" gap (With The Spark Plugs Removed!), I would suspect that the high speed jets that lay horizontal in the bottom center portion of the float chambers are fouled from sitting... clean them carefully with a piece of single strand steel wire.

Even though you a$$umed that the carburetors were thoroughly clean, that area is the rock bottom portion of the carburetor which is impossible to get clean and dry, especially when it sits for three years.
    Last edited by Joe Reeves; 09-26-2018, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Joe, Thanks very much for your response. Getting into the carbs is beyond my skills. I've made an appointment to have them pulled and cleaned on Thursday. I am inclined to agree with your ***essment, Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Beardog View Post
        Joe, Thanks very much for your response. Getting into the carbs is beyond my skills. I've made an appointment to have them pulled and cleaned on Thursday. I am inclined to agree with your ***essment, Thanks again for your help.

Okay, however make a mental note so as to relay to the mechanic that you want those hidden high speed jets manually cleaned. Some "mechanics" believe that simply soaking them in place is sufficient.... and such is not the case.

Comment

Working...
        X