Spark plug crossrefernece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug crossrefernece

My Evinrude Ficht calls for Champion QC12PEP spark plugs. The West Marine did not have them so I cross-referenced to NGK PZFR6H and installed them.

Shortly after I have been getting faults on all cylinders for "Code 86 - cylinder #X ignition primary open circuit detected".

The motor runs great and does not falter but the alarms sounds at around 1800 rpm. is on for a minute. then goes off. Are the NGK Plugs less voltage , or more resistance? Can the EMM be program to greater tolerance for variance, or should I just use the recommended plugs PERIOD?
    Last edited by ecoflorida; 03-28-2013, 06:53 AM. Reason: spelling

I wouldn't think spark plugs would cause that fault code, try putting Champions back in it and make sure you are indexing spark plugs.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

I did replace the Champions and indexing was right at 0 degrees to the injector. i keep getting the same codes for all cylinders at around 1600 rpm. 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 85 and 86. Number one cylinder faults the most.The motor runs great. Much better than with the NGK plugs. Does the EMM have to adjust itself back to the champion plugs or something? Can I adjust anything with E-Diag? Should I replace plug wires?

Comment

May have a problem in wire harness between ECM and coils.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Please forgive me if I seem ungrateful for advice but, don't those codes usually have a specific cause? Isn't that the purpose of having the computer? To specifically diagnose problems? Rather than guess at problems? Is there not a trouble-shooting reference published by Evinrude?

Comment

Voltage codes

Those codes indicate a low voltage to the cylinder (codes 81 through 86) If you have a service manual that should help you trouble shoot the problem. I had to send in my EMM for repair when I had those codes come in on my 1999 200 Ficht. I sent the EMM to DFI technologies in Alabama for repair

Comment

Originally posted by jelasea View Post
              Those codes indicate a low voltage to the cylinder (codes 81 through 86) If you have a service manual that should help you trouble shoot the problem. I had to send in my EMM for repair when I had those codes come in on my 1999 200 Ficht. I sent the EMM to DFI technologies in Alabama for repair
              Thanks Jelasea. I have Sealoc manual now but have a BRP specific to this motor on order.

Comment

Working...
              X