Evinrude V4 down on power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evinrude V4 down on power

have a 1990 Evinrude 88HP SPL outboard. I just purchased this motor and it is installed on a 20’ pontoon. The problem I am having that it seems down on power. This is what I have done to determine what might be wrong. I checked the compression it reads 107-120-120-115 on the cylinders, I believe that is probably OK, but your opinion is welcome. I pulled all the spark plugs and one seemed to be in newer condition that the other three. I replaced the plugs with new ones, ran the boat on the water for an hour at different speeds and pulled the plugs again. One plug looks like new (white and shiny), the others looks smokey and slightly wet (normal looking). I reinstalled the plugs and put water on the engine and pulled the plug wires one at a time while running, the cylinder that has the new looking plug does not affect the rpm or falter the engine when that plug wire is pulled, all other plug wires have an effect on the idle and make the engine falter. I checked the fire at each plug and it looks very good. I suspect this one cylinder is being starved for fuel. If so, would a carb rebuild most likely fix it? Could I have a reed problem for that one cylinder? Is it likely something else? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Unfortunately a tach is not on this boat, so I can’t use that as a troubleshooting tool, but I will be installing one soon.

Start with cleaning carbs to see if solves problem.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X