Trim relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim relay

50HP Etec outboard won't trim down. Was working sporadically from throttle switch. now only from motor after several pushes. Can't find part number on relay to order it. Read somewhere to replace both because it could be up relay that's bad? Is this a do-it yourself kind of job? They seem easy to get to but don't want to make situation worse.

Yes, it's a easy DIY job if it's a relay switching unit. Usually it's just one relay that goes bad and switching them is the general trouble shooting procedure. To have both go bad is unheard of and that problem is usually due to a loose wire, a tight but dirty connection, something of that nature... no voltage to the switch.

We'll need the model number of that engine and a description of the tilt/trim unit to determine exactly what type unit you have.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The model number is E50PL4SS. I was told that it might have been built by Suzuki as a model DF50. There are 2 relays. One with blue wire and the down with green wire. Are they both the same only wired to different spots? I need the part # to order. Not sure what you mean by description of tilt trim unit.

Comment

That model number of E50PL4SS is one I don't recognize. Is that engine a 2000 4 cycle model? (never mind, It is, I looked it up).

However, at any rate, the relay part number for model #E50PL4SS is #503148 and lists for $133.88 each at this site.

Frankly, I feel that you have a wiring problem rather than a relay problem... and before I'd put out that kind of money for a simple relay, I'd be cleaning and tightening every electrical connection I could come across.
        Last edited by Joe Reeves; 07-02-2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check as many connections as I can get at before I order it.

Comment

Somebody inform me... The relay for the trim is the same one for tilt, right? I have a 40 HP and a 110 HP (2 boats). The 110 hasn't needed anything replaced. Last year, I had to replace a relay on the 40. The motor wouldn't lift back up. I switched the relays and then it would lift up but wouldn't go down. There were numbers on them. I searched and ended up buying 2 on eBay for under $10.
            I would have breezed right by this post if not for the $133 price mentioned above. I must be confused about something, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wilson View Post
              Somebody inform me... The relay for the trim is the same one for tilt, right? I have a 40 HP and a 110 HP (2 boats). The 110 hasn't needed anything replaced. Last year, I had to replace a relay on the 40. The motor wouldn't lift back up. I switched the relays and then it would lift up but wouldn't go down. There were numbers on them. I searched and ended up buying 2 on eBay for under $10. I would have breezed right by this post if not for the $133 price mentioned above. I must be confused about something, right?

Steve.... Your two engines would use the same identical relays... and it is quite doubtful that they are overly expensive. However the engine in question is a E50PL4SS 2000 4 stroke model 50hp, built by Suzuki and the relays do not look anything like our normal relays, at least as far as I can see in the parts graphics of this site... weird looking!

The relays for your engines are dirt cheap by comparison on this site as $18.13 each

Perhaps the 2000 50hp 4 stroke relay price of $133 each is a typo?
              Last edited by Joe Reeves; 07-08-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

i checked the only connections I could get to which were the relay and battery. Tight and clean. I have to push the down trim switch on motor several times before it engages but now radio and light on canopy don't work. Do I have to pull console apart to look for bad connections. I'm thinking if the relay was bad it wouldn't work at all. Or can it slowly get worse?

Comment

I know nothing about your actual motor but... I ***ume you have 2 relays. I ***ume they are identical to each other. I ***ume they are easy to remove. If that's all true, take them out and switch them to the opposite locations. If the behavior is exactly the same as before, it's not the relay and you can leave them alone. (If suddenly it will trim down and not up, it's a relay for sure.) If your new problems are related to the trim problem, you'll have to really search. They might not be related. Check the fuses before you tear into the console.

Comment

2011 Evinrude 50hp E-tec, changed out my 3rd trim relay, there needs to be a heat shield for this since excessive heat disbursed, Anyone hear of a heat shield for This, it is very much needed. Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by SARGE223 View Post
                      2011 Evinrude 50hp E-tec, changed out my 3rd trim relay, there needs to be a heat shield for this since excessive heat disbursed, Anyone hear of a heat shield for This, it is very much needed. Thomas
                      Contact the masters at the dock. Such screens establish

Comment

Working...
                      X