Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evinrude ocean pro issue

Hi all,
    I have a 1998 200 ocean pro. It's been a great motor & has about 1200 hours on it. I started having a surging problem when I throttled up; the more load (weight, headwind) the sooner it would surge. Replaced the fuel pump (OEM) and pulse valve. Inspected and replaced all fuel lines. Inspected check valve at tank & fuel tank pickup. Replaced squeeze bulb. I should mention that I thought I'd been sold a bad new fuel pump, so the dealer graciously replaced it--so this is the 2nd brand new OEM pump. I guess next up is to check the cylinder compression, in the event that low compression is creating a "weak" fuel pump. But I've not had any performance issues that would have led me down that path previously. I just don't know what else to look at. I should also mention that I'd disconnected the fuel line directly prior to the fuel pump & the engine idled perfectly. Which led me to believe that the trouble HAD to be somewhere between that & the tank. But it seems that the simple resistance of the 6' run of fuel line and the tank check valve are enough to starve the engine. With full carbs, the idle is about 1100 RPM; as they run low, the idle drops to 800 RPM or lower. The squeeze bulb will replenish the carbs & pick up the idle for another 45 seconds or so, & then start the whole process again. Very frustrating. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    Bret

Might run it on a 6 gallon portable gas tank and new hose and if runs good on that then problem is in boat fuel system. Check fuel tank pickup tube, anti siphon valve, fuel hoses and fuel filters in boat.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for that. For what it's worth, I did a compression check yesterday thinking that perhaps low pressure through the pulse valve that operates the fuel pump might be the culprit. It seemed a bit of a stretch, which fortunately it was. 100 lbs. plus on 4 cylinders, 95 lbs. on 2 cylinders. So, pretty good for a motor of this age. I also picked up a clear hose that I plan on running directly to the tank. So far, visual inspections and individual component checking on filter, water separator, hoses, anti siphon valve and pickup tube have got me nowhere. But I'm obviously overlooking something!

Comment

I always connect a portable gas tank first to eliminate everything in boat then you know if problem is boat fuel system or problem with motor.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Had I done that, I would have saved myself some time... thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X