Buy Evinrude Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 Evinrude 85 hp starting problems (long story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Evinrude 85 hp starting problems (long story)

I have a 1979 Evinrude 85hp Model #85995R. The motor was rebuilt in 1998 and I only put about 10 hours on it before life took up my boating time. Boat/motor have not been started for about 18 years and I decided this spring it's time to get back on the water (retirement helped this decision). I have rebuilt the carburetors, replaced all fuel lines and spark plugs, cleaned out and flushed the inboard fuel tank and put in new gas/oil. Water pump is working good (but I will replace it shortly). Now this boat and motor is 3 hours away so not conveniently close to work on continuously. The issues I'm having is getting it started, sometimes it will start right up but idle slow, cough and shut down. When I try to restart, it will crank real fast (acting like it's starving for fuel or flooding) and finally start but low rpms. If I try to give it gas with the throttle it will cough and die. If I have the throttle halfway up and it starts low rpms, after a minute or 2 (if it doesn't cough and die) it will rev up to my throttle position and be ready to go. It will then take off fine and run great as long as I'm throttled up. When I'm slowing down and need slow speed, it will start to cough again then die. Tomorrow I plan to do a compression check (How are the cylinders numbered? Which is 1, 2, 3, and 4). I also want to check that the spark is good on all 4 cylinders, What should I also look for?

Sounds like the low speed circuit in carbs is still plugged, might clean carbs again. Check to see if spark will jump a 7/16" gap at cranking speed on all cylinders. Check choke is closing and opening all the way.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Is there a special tool for checking 7/16 gap? I brought the carbs home for another look and cleaning. Looking at the manual, the low speed orifice plug looks like it threads in from the side right above the high speed orifice plug. But on my carbs, they (LSOP) is flush with the float chamber, nothing to grab onto or no was to unscrew if that's how they're ***embled, or do they require a special tool for removal?

Comment

A spark board is used to check gap but you can use a Phillips screwdriver and hold away from engine block while some cranks engine over. You should be able to see through jets if you hold them up to a light, just make all p***ages are open and not plugged.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X