1977/8 200hp - Cannot tilt all the way up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977/8 200hp - Cannot tilt all the way up

I have a 1977 200hp which I cannot tilt all the up to rest on the built in bracket. I have a seal leak on the trim and was looking to replace the seals in both the trim tubes and the main piston, but I cannot raise the motor high enough to knock through the top pin on the main piston. The motor will trim all the way down and will tilt up to this point (pics below).

I have tried opening the manual release valve which allows me to lift the engine up and down freely but I can feel and hear that it is mechanically stopped from going any higher than in the pics.

Could the main piston be fouling up inside the tube? Or is there something I am missing that will allow it to reach it's full travel?

Is it possible that this trim unit is for a smaller motor and the main piston lengths are different, it appears to have been sprayed at some point in its life?

This has been an issue for some time and I cannot now remember if it ever actually tilted the full way up since I have owned it or not.

Any help appreciated.

Photos are here which shows the engine raised as high as it will go. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...1AIccjzW12FaoU

Cheers, Dre

If can raise it up enough to remove tilt cylinder ram shaft from swivel bracket then can see if motor can be tilted up by hand to tell if problem is in power trim unit or motor bracket.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X