2001 Evinrude 70 hp 4 stroke tiller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Evinrude 70 hp 4 stroke tiller

I purchased this Evinrude 70 hp 4 stroke outboard new and about 5 years ago once or twice through the summer when the motor is running at a slow speed or idle the warning horn will beep every 5 seconds or so. The motor runs fine, but it does go into the "SLOW " mode. To get it to stop I shut the motor down wait a minute and restart. It may not do it again for a month or not at all for rest of year. or a couple times that day. I took it to a dealer and he put it on his computer, but no faults came up. Instead of replacing a bunch of sending units he told me to wait till it did it all the time. I have seen on other old forums of this problem ,but no one comes back and tells if they got theirs's fixed and how. I do not mind spending the money on a guess, but not doing all the sending units to get to the problem. Also this motor is mounted on an older boat so I have no check engine light to hook up. Would really appreciate some help, Thanks

That is probably low oil pressure alarm, have you checked engine oil, is it clean, is it diluted with gas?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Have always used Evinrude 4 stroke oil, changed every fall and motor does not use any engine oil between changes and the oil is always clean when changed. With fuel injection I would think it would be hard to get gas in oil, but oil level is always the same. In fact went out just last week and the alarm went off on 2 occasions , went this week and it never went off.

Comment

Probably need to have diagnostic run to see all the fault codes and run history.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Did that and did not show any fault codes, and saw history run and all that checked out fine.

Comment

May be a maintenance reminder, 100 hour service reminder.
            Turn ignition key on
            Pull emergency stop cord from landyard switch.
            Pull switch button out and release three times within 10 seconds.
            A beep will sound if rest is successful.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

The land yard switch broke off the first year I owned the motor as it hit on boat back platform every time I trimmed it up, so I left it off. I know the motor has around 1900 hours from history, I still have it so maybe I will put it back on to try this. 2 weeks ago I went out and it did the warning horn twice, but I have been out two times since and the warning horn has not went off during those 2 outings. Other than that it has been a pretty good motor. The only problem I had was the power trim solenoids " up and down " both went out . Put a total battery disconnect on after replacing them.

Comment

Checked with the guy that did my diagnostic test and he told me oil change did not show on my tests, and being I probably had 1000 hrs on the motor before the alarm I do not think that is the problem.

Comment

Working...
                X