1996 E28ESLEDR Carb Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 E28ESLEDR Carb Leaking

Hello All - glad I found you! Hopefully I can glean some help and then return the favor to someone some day.

I have a 96 'rude 28HP model E28ESLEDR that quit running on me today.

I took off the cover and noticed that fuel is coming from the little vents (that's what they look like) towards the front of the carb cover.

I've included a link for the carb parts and blow-up:

Evinrude Parts 1996 E28ESLEDR 1996 CARBURETOR Diagram

If you look at parts 9 and 3 on the cover, there are vents just in front of those 'hole's' on the cover. These vents cover to open shafts that run along the side of the carb body.

I've removed the carb cover and looked at the gasket (number 5 in the link) and that gasket seems OK. I'm wondering should I drain the bowl (***uming I can by removing the screw plug; #12 in the link diagram) or am I looking at a rebuild?

When I try to start it (electric) it just spins and never starts and fuel just spits out of those vents and drains out of the carb throat. I swear it's flooded from the way it's acting but it will never turn over now. When it's warmed up it's usually a very fast starter.

I did get it to start after I removed the fuel hose from the outside of the engine after we got home. I reconnected the fuel hose (from an external tank) and it started leaking fuel all over again. The fuel hose and bulb are new (less than 4 weeks old).

Am I making sense and describing this OK?

Thanks for any help.

The carbs need to to be removed and cleaned and possible new float valves installed.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Yup. Took the carb off, new kit, nice and clean. It was very clean inside. Now won't idle with the orifice in place (see other post).

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Working...
      X