1983 15 hp Evinrude overheated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 15 hp Evinrude overheated

I lost the water pump going full throttle. Motor died from overheating. Changed total water pump housing and pump, new plugs. Motor kicks when trying to start with choke but doesn't like to run. pulled my guts out. Plugs are dry so fuel isn't getting to cylinders. I tried a compression gauge but only got 50 psi. Is the compression the major cause?

Yes compression should be higher than that.I have one that got hot and it only has 30psi.Rings can be sticking or cylinders warped.

Comment

over heated evinrude 15

I put hydraulic oil in the cylinders to see if I can unstick the rings if that is the problem .I think the next step will be to hone the cylinders and put on a new set of rings.

Comment

Marvel mystery oil is what I use for that.Works great.If you have to re ring it.Mic the cylinders to be sure they are true.

Comment

1983 15 Evinrude overheated

To get me back on the water quicker I was thinking to take the carb off the 15 and put it on a 9.9 I have. Would there be anything else involved in that process? The 9.9 is a few years older but the carb looks identical.

Comment

They will interchange.The only difference id the size of the main jet.The 9.9 will run like the 15.Same block.

Comment

9.9 to a 15hp

Is the main jet accessible from the outside of the carb or is it necessary to change the whole carb ......tks.

Comment

Its on the inside.a br*** screw with a hole in it,but it should run fine on the 9.9.Just make it faster.You will need to change the carbs out.The linkage from one to the other may be a little different.
                Last edited by Elton Smith; 06-24-2013, 05:00 PM. Reason: More info.

Comment

Evinrude 15hp overheated

I changed the carb from the 15hp to the 9.9 and engine runs good. I think I will try the marvel oil in the overheated 15. Thanks for all your advice........cb

Comment

Working...
                  X