Inherited problems.......need help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inherited problems.......need help?

I recently acquired a 50 hp Evinrude outboard from a man who recently deceased. The outboard is a 1974 50 hp Sizzler model number 50443M. When I received it.....it was in 2 pieces. The lower unit was separate....but intact.I have no information as to what the problem was or at what stage he was working on it..... and all that information is now lost forever. Here is what I know.

I removed the water pump housing to replace the impeller and found the old one was worn pretty bad on the scraping edges........problem with it???? I don't know.Everything else seemed okay. After buying all the bolts to bolt it back together again......they were all missing.....I have it together now......without fluid yet.....but it seems to me there is lots of play when the motor is engaged in either gear.It shifts okay between gears.....not running.....but the free play seems suspicious.

I do not have it running yet.....as lots of other issues I noticed have to be addressed...... but the motor turns free.....not showing signs of being locked up. Does this lower unit issue sound like and adjustment issue or could something be wrong with the lower unit?

Not sure what you mean by lots of play, if it shifts into gear then may be ok.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X