evinrude sportwin not running right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evinrude sportwin not running right

i have this evinrude sportwin, model 9122r. i am only able to get it running by having it in gear, throttle wide open, and choked, and it will start first pull, but will not run without the choke and if i try and vary the thottle it will back fire and stall.

could the timming be off? the timing is adjusted with the throttle, and as it only runs wide open i was thinking the timing was off.

i guess it ran a few years back but only idled, now it won't idle at all.

i cleaned the carb, both plugs spark

what am i missing? is there an easy way to check the timing?

thanks for any help.

Pull the flywheel and see if the woodruff key in the shaft is broken.Then look at your reed valves and make sure none are bent.
    Last edited by Elton Smith; 06-25-2013, 07:15 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

the key is fine. i've had the flywheel off a few times now to check the points.

did a compression test, best i got was 70 lbs per cylinder

Comment

Check the reed valves to see if anything may be holding them open.70 psi is pretty low for it to run.If it will only run with choke back the slow speed needle out a little.
        Last edited by Elton Smith; 06-25-2013, 11:19 PM.

Comment

i did look at the reeds, they look good, lay flat, nothing stuck in them.

theres only 1 adjustment on the carb. started at 1 1/2, tried in and out up to a full turn, couldn't really see a change, never runs long enough.

i'm thinking the compression is to low

Comment

Well if it has enough to run,it will run.Maybe worn out but if it starts it will run.Take a windex spray bottle with fuel in it to keep it running while you play with the needle.Nothing to loose at this point.Hec,back it out three turns.
            Last edited by Elton Smith; 06-26-2013, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X